The law firm of Lewis & Monroe, PLLC, located in Orlando, Florida, practices in the areas of Bankruptcy, Debtor/Creditor Issues, as well as Probate & Estate Planning. In 1993, I established my own firm in Orlando, Florida and I represent clients in the counties of Lake, Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Osceola, and Brevard in Central Florida.
I have over 25 years experience as a skilled and professional Bankruptcy and Estate Planning Lawyer. I pride myself on delivering quality, ethical, professional and effective legal representation to each and every client. My commitment to these principles is reflected in my membership and participation in various practice related professional associations. I offer personalized attentive service to my clients and will always be available to answer any questions that you may have.
In addition, I represent both individuals and commercial clients in bankruptcy proceedings at the state and federal level in Florida. I handle bankruptcy proceedings that include filing on behalf of an insolvent individual, or business, or creditors seeking distribution of the debtor's remaining assets, thereby discharging the debtor from further obligation. I am the only attorney in Orlando with dual certification in both Business and Consumer Bankruptcy. My firm also handles a variety of estate planning matters, including planning for the distribution of an individual's property at his or her death, preparation of wills and trusts, durable powers of attorney, and Medicaid planning. Effective estate planning requires knowledge in other areas of the law such as accounting, tax, insurance and property so as to gain the maximum benefit of the law, while, at the same time, carrying out the client's wishes.
I have also practiced extensively in the area of Probate and Estate Administration. Probate is the legal process by which a person's debts are paid and assets are distributed upon death. Estate Administration includes the probate process as well as non-probate transfers of the deceased's assets.
State laws and procedures vary greatly making it extremely important to consult with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney who focuses on this particular area of law. You can trust the law office of Lewis & Monroe, PLLC to handle your Bankruptcy and Estate Planning needs.
If you have questions or concerns regarding Bankruptcy, Debtor/Creditor Issues, or Probate & Estate Planning, contact us today for a free consultation. I welcome the opportunity to serve your legal needs.
Areas Of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- Estate Planning
Certified Legal Specialties
- Consumer Bankruptcy Law, American Board of Certification
- Florida, 1980
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1982
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. - 1980
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- B.A. - 1974
- Major: History and Humanities
- Dealing With Income Tax Problems In Consumer Bankruptcy Cases, The Briefs, Volume 48, No. 4, p. 4, 1997
- Reopening of Case To Pursue Sanctions Against Bank For Post Petition Attorney's Fees, Orange Bankruptcy News, Volume 3,, Issue 1, p. 6, 1996
- Right of Counsel and Student Practice Rules, 2 Am. J. Trial Advocacy 372, 1979
- Recent Developments in Evidence, 3 Am. J. Trial Advocacy 453, 1980
- Solar Radiation as a Property Right in Alabama, The Alabama Real Property Probate and Trust Newsletter
- Chairman of the Seminar Committee and Speaker, 2002 Annual Bankruptcy Seminar, The Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association, 08/15/2002 to 08/15/2002
- Speaker, Hot Topics in Bankruptcy Law, The Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association, 06/24/2000 to 06/24/2000
- Chairman of the Seminar Committee and Speaker, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy The Complete Picture, Orange County Bar Association, 08/25/1994 to 08/25/1994
- Annual Speaker, Recent Significant Changes in The Tax Code Related to Bankruptcy Law, Florida Society of Enrolled Agents Annual Law Seminar, Valencia Community College, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2002
- Speaker, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Stop Foreclosure and Deal With Tax Problems, Law Week Public Forums Project, Orange County Bar Association, 04/22/1994 to 04/22/1994
- Panel Member, Channel 24 Ask A Lawyer Project, Orange County Bar - 1994, 1995 and 2002
- Speaker, Nuts and Bolts of Consumer Bankruptcy Law, Florida Society of Enrolled Agents Annual Tax Seminar, 01/08/1994 to 01/08/1994
- Speaker, Bankruptcy and the Internal Revenue Service Code, Valencia Community College , 11/30/1994 to 11/30/1994
- Speaker, A General Overview of the Bankruptcy Code and Its Impact On Your Clients, Valencia Community College
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association, Board of Directors, 1997 to 2003
- Orange County, Chairman, Bankruptcy Law Committee, 1994 to 1995
- Florida Bar, Member, UCC Committee
- Orange County Bar, Co-Editor, The Briefs, 1996 to 1997
- Orange Bankruptcy News, Editor, 1994 to 1996
- Orange County, Chairman, Bankruptcy Law Committee, 2003 to 2004